Sisters in Crime (SinC) is an international organization founded in 1986 to promote the professional development and advancement of women writing crime fiction. Today, SinC is made up of more than 3,000 members in 50+ chapters worldwide — authors, readers, publishers, agents, booksellers, librarians, and others who love mysteries.
The Los Angeles Chapter (SinC/LA) was founded in 1989 and is one of the largest chapters. Membership is available to everyone who loves the written word, especially those with an interest in crime, mystery and suspense writing. SinC/LA is a non-profit organization. We rely on membership to further our goals to educate, nurture and support our members, including both published and aspiring authors. The larger we grow, the better able we are to provide services and outreach for our members. Whether you are published, pre-published or you just love a good mystery, we encourage you to share your passion with the like-minded men and women of SinC/LA. We would love to welcome you to our family!
The benefits of Sisters in Crime Los Angeles:
- Monthly meetings: Meet and greet fellow mystery readers and writers at our monthly meetings. Learn from guest speakers who are experts in their fields, including detectives, editors, best-selling authors, publicists and more. Each month we offer one member author the opportunity to read a short passage from his/her published work. Books can be purchased from our onsite bookseller and signed by the author after the meeting.
- Signings and Panels: Our Speakers Bureau Director arranges for published authors to speak and sign books at libraries and other venues.
- Seminars/Workshops: Discounted classes are presented on various aspects of writing.
- Monthly New Release emails: Each month we email a list of new releases by published SinC/LA authors to our entire membership, past members, and all parties who expressed interest in chapter activities.
- California Crime Writers Conference: The chapter co-hosts a biennial two-day writer’s conference in partnership with the Southern California Chapter of Mystery Writers of America. The California Crime Writers Conference (formerly titled No Crime Unpublished™) is held in June in odd-numbered years (2015, 2017) at a luxury hotel in the Los Angeles area and features two days of workshops and breakout sessions taught by top-notch faculty including best-selling authors, literary agents, and legal and forensic experts. Manuscript critiques are also offered. For information click the “California Crime Writers Conference” page on the menu bar or visit www.ccwconference.org.
- Book Festivals: The chapter offers our published author members the opportunity to sign books at our annual booth at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and other local area book festivals.
- Anthologies: SinC/LA members as well as members from the Orange County and Hawaii chapters can submit short stories for LA’s biennial mystery anthology published by a traditional press. Our next chapter anthology LAst Resort is set for release in Spring 2017. Past titles include: Murder in La-La-Land, Murder on Sunset Blvd., LAndmarked for Murder, Murder X 13, Deadly Dozen, LAst Exit to Murder, Ladies Night, and our two cookbooks Desserticide and Desserticide II.
- Ransom Notes: Our informative monthly members-only newsletter offers up-to-date information about members, events and tips of the trade.
- Networking: Take advantage of opportunities to make new friends, network with other writers and create lasting ties within the mystery community through our Yahoo! Group chat site.